Dulce Palena® is 100% natural and chemical free whole cane sugar. Whole cane sugar is the solidified juice we get from sugar cane, made from evaporation. The most important characteristic is that it doesn’t go through any refined or chemical process, which makes whole cane sugar the purest, vitamin and mineral enriched sugar.
It’s only ingredient is the sugar cane’s juice which is the reason this is a healthy and natural product. All processes, except for the grinding of the sugar cane, are made by hand; making the final product much tough and heterogeneous than the rest of sugars, finer and uniform. For this reason, we can say this is a 100% natural product, considered as the authentic integral cane sugar.
For the elaboration of “Dulce Palena” ® a modern sugar mill is used, where we combine cutting-edge technology with an artisanal process.
To obtain the whole cane sugar a manual and artisanal process is in place to guarantee all the properties and benefits of the final product. The process can be describe like this:
- The matures sugar cane is selected, washed and milled to obtain the juice.
- The juice passes through a series of filtration steps to eliminate impurities and solid particles
- The filtrated juice is subject to an evaporation process, resulting in a thick-syrup which after losing moisture is in a fairly concentrated form-like soft dough or thick honey.
- When it reaches peak concentration of sugars it is remove from the fire, beat until getting natural granulation and cool down.
- Once its cool down and granulated, it is passed through a fine sieve before packing.
During the whole process only food safe stainless steel tools and instruments are used rather than cast iron (as is often used in traditional old mills) avoiding the iron residues when the temperature increases during boiling, creating a process free of chemical residues that could have alter the characteristics and nutrients of our whole cane sugar.
We are talking about the purest integral cane sugar, reason why we are guaranteed to be receiving all the essential nutrients in their natural state.
- Provides a large quantity of necessary nutrients for our body.
- Provides a large quantity of energy, which influences better development of metabolic processes.
- This same energy boost (mainly due to the high content carbohydrate) helps the body before any physical activity or sports.
- The containing vitamins are beneficial for the proper functioning of our body’s organs, as well as its tissues.
- Helps strengthen bones, fighting osteoporosis; it even helps prevent cavities thanks to phosphorus and calcium, which are in whole cane sugar.
- Helps regulate heart rhythm.
- Contains Iron which helps prevent anemia.
- Potassium is very important for maintaining balance of intracellular fluid.
- In addition to calories, whole cane sugar provides nutrients , but not as white sugar , which provides empty calories.
- It has a soothing effect against colds or respiratory infections.
- Due to it’s all natural process, it represents no chemical substance that might be harmful for the body.
The principal component of the whole cane sugar is saccharose, unlike other sugars it is not subject to any refining process, centrifugation, purification or processing during production, so that all the vitamins and minerals from sugar cane are preserved.
The whole sugar cane consist of 84% saccharose, 6% glucose, 5% fructose, 1% proteins, 0.5% minerals and 0% fat; about 90% of carbohydrates, the main source of energy of whole sugar cane (panela).
The principal nutrients of whole sugar cane are:
- Vitamins: A, B, C, D and E.
- Minerals: calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, zinc and manganese.
- Carbohydrates: sucrose, glucose and fructose .
- Protein: fewer quantities.
Table of nutritional values based on The World Health Organization –WHO- and The Food and Drug Administration of U.S.A. -FDA- .
- In it’s production process, whole cane sugar is the only sugar that is not subjected to any refining or chemical process.
- That is why it retains more nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Whole cane sugar contains five times more minerals than brown sugar and 50 times more than white sugar.
- It has fewer calories than white sugar . Whole cane sugar contains 310-350 calories per 100g. compared with 400 calories in white sugar.
- White sugar has lots of calories that are also empty calories, meaning, they do not provide any nutrients or health benefits.
- Although the appearance resembles brown sugar, most of the latter is actually white sugar with molasse added to give color and flavor.
In principle, uses are the same as refined sugar and therefore the most widely used is the sweetener for making all kinds of desserts and drinks.
Sometimes uses may differ, for example, in places where it’s made it is consumed alone in its natural state. You can also drink it; diluted in hot or cold water, this is a traditional product typical of many places where you can find “panela” like Colombia, this drink is called “Agua de Panela” (Water or whole cane sugar). You may add lemon or lime or even pieces of cheese.
Lately we are seeing more whole cane sugar in haute cuisine recipes. Because of the increasing trend of awareness of the quality and purity of this product and all its nutrients, flavors and aromas that whole cane sugar can bring to the best of dishes.
It is likely that you have never heard the name “panela”, but probable that you’ve heard of “rapadura” or “raspadura” (Brazil, Panama or the Canary Islands in Spain ) , “papelón” or “chancaca” ( Venezuela , Chile, Argentina and Peru ) , “tapa de dulce”, “dulce panela”, “atado dulce”, ( Guatemala , El Salvador, Honduras , Nicaragua and Costa Rica) , “piloncillo” ( Mexico ) , “jaggery” or “gur” ( Pakistan or India) or “panocha” . Depending on the country, it’s known by different names, but they all refer to the same product, which whatever you call it, it’s just as healthy.